Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Another Reason The Revolution Was A Good Idea

Some things that are different between Australia and the US can be traced right back to England. Australia is still part of the Commonwealth and The Queen is still the official head of state. Accent, vocabulary, general sense of reserve in public, the omnipresence of the pub are clearly rooted in their English roots.

Most fascinating is the parallels in foods -- meat pies, puddings that are actually a baked dish, etc. Last night I saw something else that I have never seen in the US (and pray to God that I never do):

Lamb and mint-flavored.....potato chips.

No, I didn't try them and I think I can get through the rest of my life without doing so. I first encountered potato chips flavors that I couldn't fathom (or, it turns out, stomach) in New Zealand in 2000. Chicken-flavored chips? Turns out that's a big "no thanks" for this Yankee.

Since I have only encountered these weird chip flavors in Australia and New Zealand (both members of the British Commonwealth) and England, I'm blaming England!

And come July 4, I'll have one more reason to celebrate politely (ok, not so politely) asking them go home 235 years ago. And succeeding in making them do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment