Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Funky Afternoon

I've been hearing about the Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) here in Brisbane, so I decided to wander over on Sunday afternoon. It's in the cultural centre on the Southbank. And I have this to say about that: what a fabulous place!

When I think of "modern art" I tend to think of things very abstract or weird or disturbing. What I found was some of that but a whole lot of creative and funky and interesting. I took the 30-minute free tour (I really need to do that more in museums) which really was a great help. We went through the main exhibit -- 21st Century: Art In The First Decade -- and the guide's talk honestly did help me understand it better.

The museum was also quite full of families with small kids (at least in part because of the big tube slide and the room full of purple balloons and the room full of finches and...well, you get the picture). I left after about an hour (lines too long) but I hope to go back for a weekday visit next week.





This last one was the only one I saw meant to be "controversial". Notice how much those look like US dollar bills? They are.

This exhibit was created by an American artist. She was upset about how American corporations doing business in South America were changing the physical environment there. Specifically, she became focused on the birds that have become (or are becoming) extinct because of, in her view, "the American dollar".

She shredded dollar bills and has re-created the literal shape of the birds and their unique nests in this exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment