Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I Just Noticed...

I was re-reading some of my earliest blog postings. Back on August 23 I said that everyone asks me if I'm here on holiday almost as soon as I open my mouth and they hear my accent.

I just realized that no one has asked me that in a while, even though today is the official start of summer and the heavy travel season.

I know the harder edge of my American accent has softened. My accent always adapts itself to the environment (ask Jeff what happens when I go back to West Virginia!) though I will never sound like a true Australian. My mouth just can't work that way.

I suspect I look less lost and "vibe" as someone who lives here. I move through the city with the purpose of someone who actually knows where the hell she's going.

I know that inside this has become just the place I live. Not AUSTRALIA!! Just Australia. I guess other people are picking it up from me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment