Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Florence Nightingale.....Not

In another life, I am a very patient gracious thoughtful care-giver. Sadly for Jeff, it's not this life.

In case you haven't heard, Jeff came home about 10 days ago (after a long day of drinking with his work buddies, hereafter referred to as the Pernicious Influences) (I may have to get t-shirts for them) limping. Well, more specifically, hopping on one leg. Seems he’d taken a tumble down a few steps at the bar (and by “few” I mean…3) and now could not put any weight on his left leg. None. Every time he tried, his knee collapsed.

He got…a little sympathy from me. (He would have gotten more if it hadn’t occurred after 8 or 9 hours of drinking.) I put ice on it, got him an Ibuprofen, wrapped his knee in an ace bandage, put him to bed. (Do we all recognize our RICE from our first aid?)

Still non-functional the next day. Took him to a 24-hour travel clinic (after running hither and yon around downtown Brisbane for a pair of crutches). Doc said “hmmm, yes, you appear to have injured some ligaments in your knee. Stay off it and come back in 3 days.”

Came back in 3 days. Now his knee has flowered into a large area of spectacular bruising and he still can put zero weight on that leg. Doc is concerned and sends Jeff for an MRI and tells him to return the next day to see what the MRI shows.

The MRI shows that 2 of the 4 ligaments that hold your knee together are completely torn and a 3rd ligament is half torn. Plus there’s hairline fractures on the back side of the tibia (the big bone in your lower leg). The doc is very impressed! Suggests that we call an orthopedist first thing the next morning to get an appointment.

The problem? It’s now 2 days before Christmas and everything is shutting down like they’ve heard that the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are planning to spend their Christmas vacation in Brisbane. But I explain to one receptionist the extent of Jeff’s injuries and she asks me to fax the MRI report. I do and several hours later she phones to say that the doc can squeeze Jeff in on Friday (Christmas Eve) morning out at their far suburban office.

We are there. He examines Jeff and is also deeply impressed by the extent of his injuries. He also suggests, much to our surprise, that most of these injuries may be old injuries. Yep, that they occurred when Jeff was much younger. After some conversation, Jeff remembers one or two skiing accidents in his early 20s that did a job on his knees. But, being young, he was able to limp his way through them.

We are skeptical that they are all old because how they heck has he been walking for the last 20 years?? Nonetheless, the doc says he can’t really do a proper assessment till more of the swelling goes down and the hairline fractures heal up a bit. Stay off the leg and come back in 2 weeks.

“Staying off the leg” is easy. It still won’t hold any weight. Jeff is 100% dependent on the crutches. Which means yours truly is now the hands and legs for both of us. I am doing all of the:



  • Cooking

  • Grocery shopping

  • Driving

  • Dishwashing

  • Fetching

  • Carrying

  • Toting

  • Running back and forth for things

  • Picking things up

  • Packing for vacation

  • Loading the car for vacation

  • Opening doors

  • Closing doors

  • Occasionally tying his left shoe

  • Running errands for him (beer, for example)

  • Attending all his doctor appointments with him

Thank heavens our shower is large and a walk-in. He can take his crutches in with him.


For the first couple of days I was OK with this. It really wasn't his fault. Beer-saturation notwithstanding, he fell. Things tore. It happens.


But now I am.....bitchy, impatient, cranky, sad, angry, depressed, short-tempered, and a tad weepy. I find that I am extremely uncomfortable in the role of spousal caretaker. Frankly, it freaks me out.


The world I grew up in did not respect wifely care-taking. Wives, and their care-taking, were taken for granted and deeply discounted. It was completely expected that wives would take care of husbands and children and parents and in-laws and neighbors and the church and, well, everyone. And they would do it out of "love".


But they would not be taken care of in return by husbands or children or parents or in-laws or the church, etc. That's just not how it worked. Care-taking was their job and their duty and their very reason for existence. Just do it.


Oh yes, we all made good noises about appreciating all they did, generally once a year on Mothers Day. And at their funerals. But I never really saw a husband step up to take care of his wife like I saw wives taking care of husbands. I had never seen it be any different for any married woman I knew. Consequently, marriage looked and felt like a trap to me. Like a life sentence to hard labor.


I made some painful and difficult decision early in my life, including rejecting a very true and earnest marriage proposal that everyone wanted me to accept, to avoid this fate. In fact, in rejecting the marriage proposal, I specifically said "I can't take care of me and you and right now I need to take care of me." It honestly never occurred to me that care-taking could be mutual.


I was a few months shy of 40 when when I got married. It took me that long to figure out how to be in a relationship that was mutual and to find someone I could create that with. Jeff is that kinda guy and I like being married to him. He deserves all the care and love I give him.


But I can't seem to shake all those lessons observed and learned in my early life. Years of therapy and a damned good relationship don't erase that conditioning. It still lives, apparently in my brainstem, right next to the instructions for breathing and blinking.


While Jeff is a wonderful husband, he is still a guy. And like a lot of guys in my experience, he can settle into the status quo quickly and easily, especially if the status quo is particularly quick and easy for him.


Guys are, on the whole, opportunists. I don't mean that as an indictment, only an observation. They are much better than the average woman at accepting a good deal when it comes their way and enjoying it.


So, yeah, I wonder if Jeff isn't taking maybe just a tiny little wee bit advantage of the situation. He is, after all, a guy.


I am also, no suprise to anyone who's met us, the more dominant partner in our relationship. Yes, I am the Alpha Bitch to friends and enemies alike. So, yes, it's also possible that he's even more willing than the average to just let me make the decisions and the plans and take responsibility for what needs to be done.


And, yes, his leg is still completely non-functional. Completely. And he's been on crutches for 10 days and it sucks and he's likely to still be on crutches in a month, which sucks even more. So maybe, in a teeny tiny pique of self-pity, he's a little extra willing to let me do things for him. Maybe.


I don't actually blame him for that. But I am losing my frickin' mind here, not to mention my temper, my cool, my equilibrium, and my sunny good nature (yeah, I've got one of those sometimes too). It's not fair to Jeff but whaddya gonna do?


Full-time care-taking is a shitload of work. It's draining. It's tiresome. Even with heaps of love behind it. And I' m doing it for a competent adult.


I think of my friend Peggy, whose father had a stroke when she was in high school and was wheelchair- and bed-bound for the rest of his life, 15+ years. Peggy's mom took care of her dad and, to hear Peggy talk, never complained, rarely flagged, and loved him to the end.


I think of my many friends home with toddlers all day. Oy vey.


I think of my friend Judi, whose elderly father has Alzheimers. Her stepmother is doing everything in her power to keep him at home as long as she can and she's no spring chicken herself.


How do they do it? I doubt that any of them are gracious, kind, gentle, loving, patient etc. etc. etc. 24/7. It's not humanly possible. Even deep love doesn't make that possible 24/7.


And I do love Jeff. Deeply, profoundly, and with great gratitude for his love. I feel his vulnerability in my own bones and it makes me edgy and unhappy. I get furious with people who don't give him the space and consideration in public that he needs. I seriously considered picking one kid up by the back of his t-shirt and flinging him into a wall this week (but I didn't, you'll be pleased to know) because he almost knocked Jeff over (and I don't think Jeff even noticed it).


But I'm still bitchy and impatient and irritable and snarky and snippy and mean and grumpy as hell. I suspect sainthood is still a very very long way away for me.

5 comments:

  1. I love you and wish you were here, so I could gisve you a big ((hug)). and take you out for a drink (one that wouldn't result in Kelly and Jeff being a matched pair, cause 8 hours of drinking just ain't in me). Have you thought of hiring a baby sitter for a few hours a day? Just someone to once or twice a week come in and cook, clean, tote? Maybe an intrepid teen who needs cash? Someone burly. Do you still live near a college? Or an older person who could do a little lite (exactly how heavy is Jeff?) lifting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also sending a cyber-hug! I understand completely (all the mixed emotions). Thoughts that help me through such times of inner rebellion, self-loathing, guilt, etc.:

    don't forget to breathe
    meditation and yoga are sanity restoring
    be KIND to yourself
    be KIND to yourself
    be KIND to yourself

    with love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sad part is, we *have* a housecleaner! :)

    And Jeff doesn't need 24-hour taking-care-of, which just makes me feel even more incompetent. :(

    But I am admitting my limits and I have told him I'm going to need help with the move next week. I can't do it by myself.

    And I need to get out more myself. It really came to a head on our "beach" vacation because it rained buckets every day so neither one of us could get out. It's sunny now in Brisbane and I know a million great places to go for a beautiful long walk.

    Gotta pace myself. He's going to need surgery and PT for a while on this and he's going to need my support for a long time too. It's time to go be good to myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geesh, and that freak-out was after only 10 days of care-giving? I'm sorry for you. I hope you do find a way to help yourself help Jeff. In the grand scheme, this is a short amount of time. We wear different hats at different times - just because you've got the caregiver one on now, doesn't mean it's permanent.

    As a recently handicapped person myself, I have a view of the cared-for's position (on the couch). We don't mean to be burdensome - it just comes naturally for some. ;-) Trust that we sincerely appreciate *even the slightest* consideration by another. Really, a little means a lot!

    My dear caregiving husband pre-placed things I might need around the house, before he left for work. Full lunch bag near the couch, water bottle at the bedside, power-strip for chargers near a chair with the computer plugged in, bottle of hand lotion on end table. Some stuff just didn't get done that used to get done when two of us were able.... like laundry, vacuuming. Our meals were simpler than what I cook. We didn't starve.

    Our (the cared for's) lack of ability surprises us, too! It took me 1.5 hours to shower, very carefully moving, not risking a fall. And I was exhausted afterward, for the rest of the day.

    For almost two months, I lived in our 500 sq feet. I had 3 visitors (one visit each). 49 days. It was better once I could crutch around the block and even drive. Then I was angered by the poops who didn't shovel their snow! and who parked in the handicapped spaces who I saw skipping into the stores! I fell off my crutches 4 or 5 times.... flat on my face usually, once on my back like an upturned turtle waiting for aid. Yes, in public!

    Trust me, it's no picnic to be waited on. Jeff may look to you like he's taking advantage, but I'm sure (especially after reading your post) he wants nothing more than to have a healthy knee.

    It's scary being dependent. Thanks for taking good care of Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, you're not helping. Your first line is about how I'm freaking out after "only" 10 days. You had to lead with a put-down?

    This is hard for me. I'm allowed to have those feelings. Whether that makes me a good, bad, or just a normal person is irrelevant.

    I can't help it if you didn't get more visitors. You probably didn't ask for any either. I'm sure you would be a *much* better minstering angel. I can only share my imperfect journey.

    ReplyDelete