Sunday, November 14, 2010

Giving DC Humidity A Run For Its Money

Virtually every Brisbanite I've talked to who's found out I'll be here all summer has warned me about the weather. "Oh, it's so hot! But it's not just the heat. It's reeeally humid" they'll exclaim.

Then I tell them about the average temps and humidity levels in DC in August. Their response is usually some variation on "oh, well then, you'll be fine."

The difference, I suspect, is that the humidity starts a lot earlier here and lasts longer. November here should be the equivalent of May in DC. But the humidity the last couple of days has been a lot closer to July. The temps have hovered right around 80 with lovely light breezes but I'm sweating like....well, let's just say "like something very unpleasant" and leave it at that, shall we?

After my 2.5 hour walk on Wednesday, my massage therapist offered me a bathtowel to dry myself off before the session. I was quite grateful!

Today I went over to Mt. Coot-tha, popular for the fabulous views over Brisbane and out to Moreton Bay as well as a trail down the mountain's eucalyptus forest.

I packed carefully for the afternoon outing.


* Camelback with 72 oz of water (plus a few ice cubes thrown in for fun)
* Bandana to keep sweat from washing out my contacts.
* Contact lenses so I could wear sunglasses
* Jeff's hat with wide brim and mesh crown
* Sunblock
* Hand towel
* Walking guide
* lip balm

Plus the usual wallet, camera, reading glasses (see: contact lenses, above). Before I left, I slathered myself with sunblock and bug spray. Had my hiking boots all laced up. I was ready.

I got some funny looks walking through the CBD to the bus stop. The fashion style downtown is more miniskirts, gauzy tops, and high heels for the ladies. Screw it, I was going to Mt. Coot-tha!

The views at the top were as wonderful as I'd been led to expect. Even with a little bit of haze, I could see all the way out to the bay and the islands of the bay. Nice breeze on top of the mountain.

Couple of brazen wild turkeys strutting around (they apparently have gotten the memo that they're protected and are taking full advantage of it).

While walking along the road to the trailhead, I came across a 3-foot snake in my path. Many of you will be pleased to know that:

* I did not scream
* I did not beat it to death
* I did not freak out and run higgledy-piggledy back the way I came

I did, however, move to the other side of the road.

Found the trailhead and plunged into the coolness of the forest.

It's not a long trail. Maybe 4 km. And it's all downhill, even steeply downhill (so I was darned glad I'd started at the top!). There was lots of shade and regular pleasant breezes.

And I had to stop after about 20 minutes, completely wipe myself down, and re-apply sunscreen. There's no way I hadn't sweated all of it off. The people I passed, huffing and puffing uphill, weren't even really dressed for hiking -- they were dressed more like the people downtown and carried, maybe, a single water bottle -- so I have no idea how they did it.

I had a great time. I think there's only the one trail there, which is a shame, but I'd love to go back for the sunset dinner at the restaurant. Jeff's parents arrive on Thursday and I hope to take them up there on Friday.

But, yeah, the hand towel and sunblock are going on all my long walks this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment