Sunday, November 7, 2010

Australian English: Less is More?

The Aussies love to shorten words.

Breakfast is brekkie.

Poker/slot machines are pokies.

Mosquitos are mozzies.

Motorcyclists are bikies (though I really don't encourage trying that one with, say, your local Hell's Angels chapter...)

Moustaches are mo's. (Seriously, could I make this up??) And in case you didn't know, November is Movember . Movemeber is an international "moustache growing charity event held during November each year that raises funds and awareness for men's health." I admire that but there are some blokes out there (yes, I'm talking about you, Charlie Pickering on the 7PM Project, cutie though you are) who just look cheesy in their mo. But points to you for trying! (But you will be shaving it off on December 1, yes?)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelly
    this is really cool! this is the first Blog I have ever visited. now if I only knew what a twiter was.

    ReplyDelete