Thursday, October 14, 2010

So, Where You From?

It's not hard to pick up, once you hear me speak, that I ain't from 'round here. I can't fake an Australian accent on my best day (what they do to vowels boggles my mind; I think they have extra hinges in their jaws and soft palates.).

If people don't automatically assume I'm Canadian, they'll ask me where I'm from. How would you answer that question?

Well, you'd probably answer "the United States" or "the US" because that's how we refer to our country when we're talking about it as a geographical or political entity.

The rest of the world? They call it "America". I don't think I've yet heard an Australian call it the United States until after they'd heard me use that phrase, and then it sounds awkward coming from them.

It would sound (and feel) equally awkward for me to say "America" if someone asked me where I'm from. It just doesn't feel right rolling off the tongue in response to the question. But I use "America" all the time when I'm talking about our culture or our people.

"A small taste of America."
"Only in America....."
"What will America do...."
"The people of America...."

I realized today that "America" has more emotional and psychological heft for me than "the United States". Of course, it's also shorter and quicker but that's not all there is to it.

It's a bit like the difference between using a first and last name, for me. "United States" is our formal name, the one you'll find on our mailbox (or on a map). "America" is our first name and the name I use when talking more...personally. Y'know, once we've been properly introduced.

Just an observation along the way.....

1 comment:

  1. I had some weirdness when I went to London (ACK, 10 years ago!) as on multiple occasions I had UK natives approaching me for directional assistance. Seems I really looked like I knew where I was going.

    However, when I was in the pub next to where I was staying, they figured out right quick that I was a Yank. Thing is, I seem to recall saying I was from the "US" vs "United States" or "America" - funny thing was that once they knew what country I was from, they really wanted to know what part of the US I hailed from. (I stuck with "outskirts of DC", cause no one would have known Burke, Virginia.)

    ReplyDelete