Friday, October 22, 2010

I Can't Give It Away

One of my intentions when I moved to Australia was to volunteer. Why?
  1. Because it's a good way to maintain perspective.
  2. It's a good way to meet local people.
  3. It's something I don't get to do much of in DC because I'm so busy.
  4. It's an interesting way to get to know a place.

My thoughts were "food bank" or "small theater" or "museum". This is proving to be really difficult to do.

For one thing, a lot of the organizations that depend on volunteers in the US seem to have sufficent financial support (I'm kinda assuming through the government?) that they don't seem to need volunteers here.

I asked a local guy I've met through the Brisbane Couchsurfers group about this. He admitted that it can be a challenge. He said there's actualy more people who want to volunteer in Australia than there are volunteer opportunties!

When I've looked online, I've found a lot of "aggregator" sites that take a volunteer's information and offer to help you connect with a volunteer opportunity....after you fill out an application, submit a volunteer "resume", validate your insurance status, and go through a background check! Eep!

Finally, the volunteer opportunties I do find seem to be geared to long-term arrangements. Not a lot of opportunity for one-time or drop-in/unskilled labor options.

Keeping looking....

No comments:

Post a Comment