Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What the heck am I doing here?


Just to bring everyone up to speed. The story so far.....

Husband's company asks him to work on a contract in Brisbane Australia for 6 months. After much negotiation (some between he and I, lots beween him and his employer), we agree.

He gets here late July. I arrive mid-August. We will be here till at least late February. The contract may be extended. We're willing to be here longer if everyone likes everyone.

We're currently staying in the Marriott in the CBD (central business district = "downtown"). We'll be moving into a corporate apartment within a few days. If we stay longer than 6 months, we'll look for something more "on the economy" (a phrase from my days as an Army brat living in the Netherlands). Something more in a neighborhood.

What will I be doing while I'm here? Not massage. At least not if we're only here for 6 months. I'll re-consider if we're here longer. I'll be writing. (I do have a degree in journalism, y'know, and 20 years under my belt as a technical writer before I become an MT.)

Several projects scheduled:

1. Help my friend Ben Risby-Jones edit his book. He lives about 90 minutes outside of Brisbane and he writes....um.....like English is his 3rd language (it's his first). Lovely person. Great ideas. Good speaker. But, yowza, the written word is not his greatest gift. So I'll be working with him to edit / co-write a book to support his healing work.

2. A book on the business of massage. I taught business practices at my alma mater, Potomac Massage Training Institute, and have written a column on the business of massage for 4 or 5 years for the DC professional association. I want to turn that source material into a book.

3. A book to support a (non-massage) workshop I teach, "Create A Relationship User Guide". I've had soooooooo many people say "you need to turn this into a book!", so I'm going to.

I'll also be doing a professional blog to parallel this one and still writing my column for the DC chapter of the American Massage Therapy Association.

And then there's my Facebook posts, letters to my mom, e-mails to friends and family who just can't deal with FB, etc. I'll be busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment