Tuesday, August 24, 2010

This is "winter"?



It's Tuesday morning here in the land of Upside Down Yanks. The temp says "61" but the way the flags are whipping around out there, I bet it feels a little cooler.

But just a little cooler. While August is the tail-end of winter here (think late February / early March in DC), it's not winter like I'm used to.



First of all, absolutely no snow. Brisbane is considered "semi-tropical" and it is simply not going to snow here. It doesn't snow in most of Australia. If you want snow, you have to go waaaay south and up into the mountains and, as one friend put it, don't blink.

Second, the flowers are blooming quite nicely. I spent an hour or two yesterday in a city park -- Roma Parklands -- and it was beautiful. A little gray because it was an overcast day but still beautiful. It makes me excited to see what it will be like in a month or two.



Third, the lowest daytime temps I've seen have been low 50s. Most days in the last few weeks have been in the 60s and 70s. Which doesn't mean I haven't seen people out in full-on winter coats. With scarves. No gloves but I'm sure they were tucked in a pocket, just in case.

While at the same time seeing plenty of people (especially manual laborers) wearing shorts. I gotta love a place where official uniforms include a "shorts" option. And there's some very decent legs roaming this city!

On the other hand, I fear January will be Hell on Earth. But until that happens (and can it really be worse than DC in August??), I'm loving this!




2 comments:

  1. January there can be no worse than August here, I'm sure of it. (Please post hot weather pics while we're under the snow in a few months!)

    This sounds like my kind of winter!!

    - Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks absolutely lovely. and your apartment is too cute!

    ReplyDelete