Monday, August 23, 2010

Stranger in a Strange Land?

(Monday)

This is not my first time in Brisbane. I was here a year ago as part of the Oz Adventures with Jeff and Kitty. I was here as a visitor then, on holiday. Is the city really any different as a resident?

In a word: yes.

A year ago, I only had a few days in Brisbane at the end of my trip. I was focused on what was Significant and Different. That's what sightseeing is usually about.

What is significant in this place? What is it famous for? What do I want to be able to say I saw when people ask? What things does everyone see? What will make people say "wow!"?

What is different in this place? What is not like at home? How can I experience something that will be different than anything I can experience at home? How can I permit this trip to challenge me, to change me even, to expand my worldview?

In practical terms, that means my travel is frequently about things like museums, landmarks, parks, the food (!), and people watching. In my case, it also means I go out of my way to not be too "different", to not stand out as a tourist.

It means I may notice the cell phone stores and pharmacies and hardware stores but they are just a passing part of the scenery. I may notice the grocery store and the bus stop. But I'm not trying to commit those things to memory. If I'm only going to be here for a few days, or even a week, I'm not going to spend the brain cells on really noticing that sort of thing.

I want to walk away with photos, experiences, and impressions.

Now, as a resident....

I don't care if I don't have an Australian accent. I think about what it's like to live in DC, where you can hear all kinds of accents every day. I'm just one more accent.

I care deeply about where the grocery stores, banks, pharmacies, office supply stores, and hardware stores are. I'm spending a lot of time walking around downtown to have that "body" experience of a place and so my feet know how to get me to the vital services I need.

When someone asks if I'm here on holiday (and everyone asks that) I say "no, I just moved here". I don't mention it may only be for 6 months. I live here, for however long, I live here.

I don't work at "fitting in". My thinking is "I live here. By definition I fit in." I'll soon learn the limits to that, I'm sure!

I pay more attention to community events (especially free ones!) and farmers markets and museum exhibits. I sprinkle them in my week as I find the time. Tomorrow I hope to make it to the Museum of Brisbane for their "Prejudice and Pride" exhibit about the contributions of the LGBT community to Brisbane. I have the leisure to focus on specific exhibits rather than accepting whatever is there when I also happen to be in town.

I'm paying attention to local theater. There's a big arts festival starting in two weeks -- the Brisbane Festival -- and I've already got a schedule.

I'm eyeballing where volunteers are being used because I'd like to be one. I need to find a way to tap into the local community and meet some people. Delightful as Jeff is, he can't be my entire social life. That's soooooo not healthy! It also means I'm paying more attention to local organizations and services.

It's as though my eyes have moved down from the skyline to the sidewalk. I didn't think I was a "skyline view" kinda traveller but the time limits of travel make that un-avoidable. But now I have a chance to experience this city -- and by extension this country -- at the ground level and I'm planning to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment