Monday, March 31, 2014

When is Air Conditioning Not Really Air Conditioning

I don't know if this is all Australians or just Queenslanders but they looooooooooove the outdoors and fresh air. They'll eat out on a restaurant patio -- in a coat with a heater next to them -- when it's 50 degrees outside. They'll open a window in England in December.  They are just crazy for fresh air.

Plus, they pride themselves on being pretty tough, not weak, able to take it (whatever "it" might be) and do so with without wingeing (whining).

But, y'know, it can be stinkin' hot here and there's this lovely invention called "air conditioning" (air con).....

I know I'm not tough when it comes to heat and humidity and I'm just fine with that. So when I was looking for places to stay I chose places that listed air con as one of their amenities. And I have yet to sleep in a house that is fully a/c'd or even a bedroom with a/c! Here's what I think is happening when Australians tick the "air con" box on their profiles:

"Well, I've got air con in the living room (though we never turn it on) so, yes, I've got air con!"

"Well, I have window fans and that's just as good as air con (harrumph harrumph) so, yes I've got air con!"

"Well, I have air con (even though it hasn't worked for 2 years) so, yes I've got air con!"

"Well, I've got lovely cross breezes and that's the original air con so, yes I've got air con!"

God love 'em, I honestly do not think this is intentional deception just to attract bookings. Australians simply have a fundamentally different relationship to fresh air, coolness, and comfort (and possibly excessive sweating) than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment