Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I'm Short

I grew up in the military. When you get close to your next move, you are referred to "short". As in, I'm getting short.

Jeff and I are definitely short. Less than 7 weeks. And it shows.

Jeff's pretty much done and seen everything he wants to here in Brisbane. He spends his spare time reading (and the man can read for hours; up to 12 hours at a time). He's got very little enthusiasm for trying anything new or doing any more exploring.

I've also got the short-timers blues. It's hard to get excited about the new, the different, the unusual. We have a list of about a half dozen things we want to see and do before we leave but our drive is becoming less....driven.

Much of my daydreaming and imagining is now about life back in DC. Building a new educational company with my partner Kitty. Seeing my mom. Returning to my fave pew at Augustana Lutheran. Scheduling clients. Eating me some Popeye's fried chicken...

I'm planning my next vacation but it'll be a driving trip to Madison WI via Montreal in September.

It was going to happen. I couldn't be 100% invested in this city, country, continent, and hemisphere right until the plane's wheels lifted and expect to be ready for US re-entry. I'm one of those people whose mind is weeks or months in the future and the weeks and months to come will happen in the US.

I'm still 5'6" but I am definitely short.

No comments:

Post a Comment