Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Ladies and Gentlemen, We Have A Government

So, Australia has finally actually decided who will run the country based on the elections that were complete two weeks ago: the Labour Party (the "liberals" in American parlance) with Julia Gillard continuing as prime minister.

It took two weeks because no party had a majority of seats on their own. They both had to woo the independents and the Green party. It literally came down to 3 Independent members of parliament.

It was interesting to listen to the announcements yesterday. One independent kept saying he was supporting the "coalition" but I'd lost track of who the heck that was! And no one on the TV was explaining it.

I think I'm spoiled. I'm used to my TV announcers making it abundantly clear what each statement means!

He meant he was going with the Liberal coalition ("conservative" in American-speak). I wasn't too suprised. He just looked like someone who would align himself more conservatively.

About an hour later, the other two independents announced their alliance with Labour. That put Labour.....just barely....over the top.

The talk was all about the "20 points" and the "5 considerations" and possibly the "3 amigos" (though I may have heard that last one incorrectly). It was all about policy and getting agreement. There was a little talk of whether there were jobs traded for votes but only just a little.

Frankly, I thought the press backed down too quickly on some of their questions about how the Independents made their decision and what they've been doing for two weeks! I do find the Australians more....reserved (believe it or not) in these kind of interactions. The whole "wild and woolly" thing is not what I'm finding here.

While I find the American press can be so aggressive sometimes, I'm appreciating what that gets me, the viewer/listener/reader. It gets me answers. Or at least information. Or maybe just a response. But it definitely keeps public officials a little off-balance, which is sometimes a good thing.

Power has a way of going to even the best person's head and someone needs to be reminding them that they have to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment